Nga Hau e Wha National Marae
Immediately exiting Cuthberts Green the trail passes Nga Hau e Wha National Marae, established in 1981. The carvings above the main gate depict the history of New Zealand, showing eight warriors paddling a canoe which is representative of all the ancestral canoes at Waitangi in 1840 and, opposite, Captain William Hobson, RN, Governor of New Zealand at that time. This entrance symbolises the Marae as a place for all citizens of New Zealand. Hence the significance of the name, which in English is ‘The Four Winds’.
The marae is administered by an Urban Maori Authority, which delivers education and social programmes among other services.